This is the twenty-eighth installment in Mucho Gusto, a recipe initiative by and for students to help connect us through food in times of isolation. If you’ve got a recipe you think would make a great addition, reach out to us!
This shrimp and grits recipe is an ever-satisfying family favorite. It’s a colorful dish that is perfect for summer! Juicy shrimp over creamy, cheesy grits, what’s not to love?
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 ½ pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 2 andouille sausages, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup onions, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups water
- 1 ½ cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (3 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook the andouille sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove the sausage and place on a separate plate, but leave the sausage drippings in the pan.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic to the sausage drippings; cook for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the shrimp, add the lemon juice and hot sauce, and pour in the chicken broth. Cook for 5 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring frequently.
- In a separate medium saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Gradually add grits to the saucepan, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in the butter, cheese, and salt.
- Serve shrimp mixture over grits; sprinkle with cheese and enjoy!